Saturday, February 03, 2007

Mortal Combat

.
If this thing goes through I’m going underground so I’m never called for jury duty.
Divorcing couples may soon have more options in settling their differences if recently introduced legislation allowing jury trials in divorce proceedings passes.

A divorce is the only place in our judicial system where people don't have that choice, said Rep. Monique Davis, D-Chicago, who introduced the legislation.
You too can now be a referee on the old Jerry Springer show.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. We used to have jury trials for family law cases in Illinois. I believe the law was changed when getting divorced became so much more prevalent because the number of divorces was bogging down the jury system. There could be more to it, but that's what I was told.

Also, here's some rock solid advice when getting a divorce: Always, always, go for a settlement instead of a trial. Both parties usually find that even an unfavorable settlement agreement is easier to live with than the best judicial decision in these types of cases.

Anonymous said...

More is coming back to me. They did away with jury trials about the same time they switched to calling it "dissolution of marriage." Not that that really has anything to do with it.

Dave said...

During my divorce from my first wife, a jury would have had me committed for having married her in the first place.