Thursday, January 31, 2008

Water Bored

I’ll tell you something, we’ve really been spoiled here in Springfield in the past. It was such an inexpensive place to live. We used to have some of the cheapest utility rates anywhere. So while news like this doesn’t surprise me, it does make me miss the golden age of really inexpensive living.

I remember in the late 1980s moving back to Springfield from Northern Illinois and being happily surprised that my electric bills were about half of what I was paying Commonwealth Edison.

I’ve never paid much attention to water rates since water bills have never amounted to all that much anywhere I’ve lived. And that even takes into consideration that I’ve lived many places that didn’t have a centralized water service, meaning I had no water bill at all outside of the electricity used to pump the well water. I think water is, and will continue to be, a good bargain considering how much we depend on it.

No comments: