Monday, February 14, 2005

1978

Have you ever heard an old song on the radio that reminds you of some era in your life but you hate the song. It's a weird feeling.

To me, nothing brings back the ambiance of a time in my past like a familiar tune. I often tune my car radio to "oldies" stations or noontime "flashback" shows. And when they aren't plying The Eagles "Hotel California" or anything by Fleetwood Mac, I occasionally hear a tune I haven't heard in years, if not decades. Sometimes its a song I didn't like at the time but it still brings back a flood of memories.

I had such an experience last week when Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" came on while I was driving to lunch. That song was on every radio station 24/7 back in 1978. I had a lot of fun in that year. I graduated from high school, turned 18, traveled to the west coast in search of America, and started college. And Baker Street was part of the soundtrack. Thing is, I did then as I do now, HATE that song- AGHHHH.

So, I'm driving along with all these cool memories being generated by a song that is compelling me, by reflex, to reach for the tuner. But I stop my hand. Then I want it to go ahead and stop the noise. Then I hesitate again.
You used to think that it was so easy
You used to say that it was so easy

But you're trying
you're trying now.
Another year and then you'll be happy

Just one more year and then you'll be happy
But you're crying you're crying now.

Oh, the horror. The conflict continues, the sax wails. Someone help me. Like memories, hate song. Make it stop.

Finally the song ends. Just like it always did in 1978. And in that moment I relived yet another great memory - "Baker Street" being over. But life is better today because it will be months or years before I hear it again. That was not possible in 1978.

No comments: