Monday, February 07, 2005

Deep Throat About to Deep Six?

John Dean, writing in the LA Times, says one of the biggest mysteries of 20th century American politics may soon be resolved:
Bob Woodward, a reporter on the team that covered the Watergate story, has
advised his executive editor at the Washington Post that Throat is ill....The
source who informed me that Woodward leaked the news of Throat's illness to the
executive editor of the Post gave me that information either on "deep
background" or "off the record" (I never could get the distinction of those
rules straightened out). So I apologize to my source if this information was
never meant to be public, but it is a tidbit too hot to keep sitting on.

I was just reading last week speculation that George Bush (the elder) was Deep Throat. That's not a new theory but one that is still alive. Until now. I saw George the First on the Super Bowl last night and he didn't look like he was ready to croak. So, based on Dean's statement and Bush's appearance on the field, I guess we can take him off the list.

No comments: