Friday, March 18, 2005

Friday Beer Blogging: St. Pat's Edition

The Irish beer gods at Guinness provide us with this week's tempting visual.



Three or four years ago I was at the grocery store on St. Patrick's Day and decided to pick up soma six of Irish brew (I think it was Harp). I got to the checkout and the very young checker asks for an ID. Well, I had gotten a ticket for speeding (imagine that) and didn't have my driver's license pending my day in court. I did have my copy of the ticket with my bith date on it though. That, I was told, was NOT acceptable. I objected. Hell, I was nearly double the legal drinking age. So the manager was called over. He, perhaps 24 years old, deemed me to great a risk and would not sell me the beer.

You gotta be kiddin' me, I thought. I had been buying beer (legally) for 20 years. Even the 18 year old bagger was standing there laughing saying, "You don't think this guy is over 21?!" Yeah, hah, hah.

Anyway I left the store sans beer.

Now this whole incident was the direct result of the many, many stings the local constables had run over the past decade in Sangamon County. No beer seller was taking any chances, no matter how silly the situation. I had no proof of age and that was that.

Of course, the kids are still getting beer. My garage fridge has been relived of its alcoholic contents twice in the last 3 years.

No comments: