Tuesday, March 01, 2005

More Smoke

I posted a couple of days ago on the proposed 75 cents a pack tax increase on cigarettes. In that post I suggested that the tax probably would raise more money for the State despite cries from opponents that it might be self-defeating as cigarette buyers went elsewhere. I also fell short of giving it my whole hearted support. Not because it “won’t work” (i.e. raise revenue) but because of the impact it will have on certain people.

Here I’m talking about the smoker who is barely able to make ends meet and will now have an additional burden to content with. I know, I know, no one is FORCED to smoke. But let’s face it, it’s an addiction and while the new tax will (if approved) suddenly go into effect one day, those smokers will not likely be able to wake up that same day and say, “That’s it, no more smoking. It’s just too expensive.” No, it will probably have to take a toll before those people are motivated enough to give it up.

I know this isn’t a strong argument against the tax but it is one that should at least be considered. On balance, I’m still mildly in favor of the plan but its impact on certain segments of the population concerns me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There certainly are dead beat dads out there that will cut back on child support, or even stop child support payments altogether, once the price of their favorite drug goes up.

That in turn will force the taxpayer to pick up the slack, through greater public aid payments for those poor families effected.

Those children, when they grow up, having grown up poor, will be less likely to attend college.

And as we know, the less educated, the more likely to smoke.

Therefore this tax increase will only hurt Illinois, and encourage children to smoke.

ETK

KOM said...

I think it's a bad idea for another reason. Once all of the smokers are dead or reformed, what will they do to make up the lost revenue?

I suspect coffee is next.