Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Missed Opportunities

I always find it fun to “discover” old songs or even groups that I missed when they first came out. Sometimes it pisses me off I did miss them and I often can’t figure out HOW I missed them.

I like to listen to a lot of retro programming like VH-1 classic and various Music Choice channels off my digital cable box where some of this “missed” material surfaces on occasion.

Here are a few things I’m enjoying retroactively:

Sonic Youth – I’m almost embarrassed that I never got into them during their long career of making excellent music. I was vaguely aware of them but never gave them much of a chance. I think they just got lost in the proliferation of great stuff coming out in that Punk/New Wave era in the late 70s and early 80s.

Warsaw – This band became Joy Division but I don’t like Joy Division (never have) so I never investigated the band’s roots. Warsaw, on the other hand, rocks in the best tradition of the late 70s punk bands. By the way, the bands third in carnation, New Order, was/is also good by me. Talk about musical evolution.

Detachable Penis – This King Missile song escaped my attention until recently when I saw the video on VH-1’s Alternative show. It may be the funniest song ever.

Are You Experienced – Yes, the Hendrix song but done by Devo (off their Shout album). I really don’t know how I missed this one back in the day. It’s odd how good this. I particularly like Devo’s changing the lyrics “Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful” to “Not necessarily beautiful, but mutated”.

No comments: