Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I Want My MTV Censored

Our conservative moral nannies are at it again:
Currently, the Federal Communications Commission has the authority to fine
only over-the-air radio and television broadcasters for violating its
indecency regulations, which forbid airing sexual or excretory material
between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., when children are most likely watching.

But Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) told a group of broadcasters yesterday that
he wants to extend that authority to cover the hundreds of cable and satellite television and radio channels that operate outside of the government's control. In addition to basic cable channels such as ESPN, Discovery and MTV, that would
include premium channels such as HBO and Showtime and the two satellite radio
services, XM and Sirius.

"We put restrictions on the over-the-air signals," Stevens said after
his address to the National Association of Broadcasters, according to news
reports confirmed by his staff. "I think we can put restrictions on cable
itself. At least I intend to do my best to push that."
I reserve this language for only the most extreme cicumstances here, but FUCK YOU Senator Stevens. Fucking hick.

Good thing conservatives hate government regulation.

Thanks to Kevin Drum who has more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just lost as to why this would upset you so much?

Anonymous said...

Ummm... Fascism tastes good. Me likes. If I like giving up my freedoms, what's your problem? Are you un-American or something?