Friday, September 15, 2006

Friday Beer Blogging: Blue Moon Edition

...
An FBB first. I’m actually drinking the beer I’m blogging about as I write this post. Can you even begin to understand how cool that is? I doubt this has ever been attempted before by anyone. Crickey!

The beer I’m holding? Blue Moon

I’ve come to really like this beer. I’ve had it while dining out a few times and always enjoyed it. So today I picked up a 12-pak of BM, er, Blue Moon while I was at the soon-to-be-defunct Jewel Osco at Fairhills Mall.

BM - dammit I did it again - I mean Blue Moon is actually brewed by the Coors folks. Here’s what they have to say about their product:

Blue Moon Belgian White, Belgian-style wheat ale, is a refreshing, medium-bodied, unfiltered Belgian-style wheat ale spiced with fresh coriander and orange peel for a uniquely complex taste and an uncommonly smooth finish.

The name "Belgian White" is a reference to the cloudy white, opaque appearance of the beer. "Belgian White" also refers to the style of beer, which has been brewed in Belgium for about 300 years. This type of ale is brewed with malt, wheat and oats. It is unfiltered, which allows protein and yeast to remain suspended in the beer and creates the cloudy appearance. This also adds to the smoothness and full body of the beer.

Putting a new twist on the lime ritual, Blue Moon is traditionally served with a slice of orange.

And I can vouch for that last part. Every establishment in which I’ve ordered a Moon has served it with a slice of orange that I promptly discard. No need for fruit on my beer glass.

Anyway, if you haven’t tried Blue Moon, give it a try. I think you’ll like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blue Moon is excellent. You know, the Track Shack has wireless internet. You can blog with beer there anytime. Its my favorite way to blog. I think Floyd's has wireless now too, and they have Blue Moon.

K- said...

I'm a big fan of Blue Moon. I became aware of it during visits to Chicago a few years back. My sister has a shot of OJ put into it instead of trying to squeeze the orange slice. Pretty good stuff.