Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Rebuffeted

...
The whole Buffet City story is really strange and getting stranger. Meanwhile, more and more people are admitting they really, really are going to miss the place. At first, I think a lot of folks were reluctant to admit that they actually liked BC and pretended that they were far too dignified to miss the plate loads of cheap, but somehow appealing, food there. But as the reality sets in that BC is never coming back, some of us are getting a little fidgety knowing we aren’t going to be getting a fix again anytime soon. Don’t believe me? See the comments in this ThirtyWhat post. Or ask yourself why JP was hanging around taking pictures of BC here.

It seems to me, though, if there is the demand for a Buffet City, why can’t a knock-off open up? Copy-catting resaurants can't be too hard (see Dublin Pub). Was BC only feasible by utilizing undocumented workers? I doubt it. And yes, I know, there are other similar restaurants in town but none of them can touch Buffet City. Maybe Xiang Hui Ye (pronounced Throatwabbler Mangrove) can write a book from jail on how to properly (and without using illegals!) run an all-you-can-eat establishment.

5 comments:

ThirtyWhat said...

I guess I hadn't blogged about the whole BC situation because I was just positive they were coming back. I think I was in denial ...

Sure, there are other places that are relatively similar ... Buffet King over by Toys R Us and International Buffet over by Walmart on Dirksen are two examples. But you're right, Dave ... they don't come close to matching BC's spread.

I am in some kind of mourning over here ... the crab ... those tiny spicy chicken "bits" ... the wonderful combinations I'd have them cook up on that grill in the back.

I know what this is. It's karma. And Karma is telling me to push forward with the Curves plan and to forget about all you can eat buffets.

JeromeProphet said...

Definately a loss.

I think we all would have paid an extra dollar, and tipped more generously if they just could have operated within the law, and paid their workers a fair wage.

They were a nice group of workers, and I spoke to many of them - to those that knew enough english to converse that is.

Greed drives people to do stupid things. Whoever this unnamed owner is, that's where we will find most of the money was sent.

I recall eating there one night when an older Chinese man, and his wife were there. He looked very full of himself, and all the staff there were doing what they could to please him.

He looked like he just stepped off the set of some Chinese Sopranos episode - hair slicked back - ex military type. But Chinese not US military - someone who probably never should have been allowed in the country.

Lots of people come here for one reason - money, and they don't see themselves as americans, and don't care about this place at all.

I always had my suspicions that Buffet City was being used to traffic illegals - NOT just employ them.

I'd tell my wife, and daughter that, and sometimes guest we take with us, and they all thought I was wrong - HA!

Xiang Hui Ye's wife was pregnant the last time I saw her - I hope she bares this situation well.

And yes, I miss that Buffet with a vengence.

JP

JeromeProphet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dublin Pub? From what I've been told this is far from a successful knock-off. Their lunch crowd is nowhere near as large as the restaurant they wish to imitate. With that said no one saw this situation coming? It was fairly obvious that Buffet City was using illegal labor. This also may be a key fact on why they were able to make a profit even with such tight margins. My better half will tell you the few times we were in there. I'd always comment on how I was sure the place was using all legal labor.

Anonymous said...

Can someone make the "was" turn into a "wasn't"? I should wake up before typing in the morning.