Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Soldiering On

...
One other note from my trip to Chicago over the weekend: The new Soldier Field is really, really ugly from the outside. I know I’m far from the first person to say so and I’ve seen it before, but for some reason it didn’t really strike me until this trip how bad it really looks. While the old stadium had a stately look, SF v2 looks like the Mother Ship parked over the shores of Lake Michigan and took a shit on the old home of the Bears. There’s no way I would have wanted to see them tear down the old façade but I have to admit, the resulting hybrid is just fugly.

Speaking of Soldier Field, it was this month in 1994 that I saw the Rolling Stones there for what I thought HAD to be the last of their tours. It just didn’t seem possible these guys would be able to keep touring. And what were the odds Keith Richards would live another day much less to see another tour? Well, guess what. A dozen years later the Stones are rolling into SF v2 for yet another show (yes, I know they’ve been back between 1994 and this year). Amazing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it...
sorta looks like the "Star ship Enterprise" is doing a low fly-by of Statesville Prison.

--a bishops wife--

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree I like it. Granted I've only been there once. Last year we had tickets and got access to the Cadillac Club. Could see where traditionalist would be put off by the new design and look though.