Friday, October 20, 2006

Christopher Glenn

...
I’m shocked and saddened to see Christopher Glenn has died.
Christopher Glenn, a longtime CBS News correspondent whose soothing, authoritative baritone voice became familiar to millions as he read the news to adults, explained it to children and often reported it himself, died on Tuesday
in Norwalk, Conn. He was 68. The cause was liver cancer, CBS said.

For 35 years of his 45-year broadcasting career, Mr. Glenn worked in many positions for CBS News on radio and television. One was narrator of “In the News,” a long-running television news program geared to children and youths. At the end of his career, he was successively the anchor for the radio newscasts “The World Tonight” and “CBS World News Roundup.”
You may not know the name but I’ll just bet you know the voice (this CBS story on his death has links to some of his work).

Glenn was one of my first broadcasting heroes for his Saturday morning “In the News” segments. I think I have to credit those kid-friendly segments as generating my first interest in news and current events.

Later, when I was working as a news reader and reporter at a CBS radio affiliate, my local news would often lead into or followed Glenn’s network newscasts. It felt kind of cool to be on some of the same airwaves with the great Christopher Glenn.

And, once again, as we pour billions and billions down an Iraqi rat hole, cancer continues to be the real terrorist threat among us. Now it’s taken another great one.

1 comment:

Anonymous Communist said...

Wow... I remember Christopher Glenn doing the news in between Saturday morning cartoons.

Bummer.