Tuesday, October 03, 2006

TEH International Gets Mail

...
This was kind of nice to see in the ol’ inbox:
G’day Dave,

My name is Mike, from Kallista near Melbourne Australia. Just wanted to say hi. I read your blog every day, for no particular reason other than I don’t have time to keep up with world events, only enough time for one other far away corner of the planet, which now happens to be Springfield Illinois. Keep up the good work. Love the beer blogging, inspires me to crack the top off a frothy every weekend. (2 toddlers destroying the house also inspires me, but that’s not just Fridays)

Cheers

Mike
Well, thanks Mike. Come see us in Springfield sometime. We have more Lincoln crap than anyone else in the world.

I wonder if Lincoln ever thought about Australia. Say, in early 1864 when he’d just about had enough of the war, I wonder if he ever got the notion to just get on a ship and sail down under. Or more seriously, was he part of any official government proceeding that dealt with Australia. You know how every little town in Illinois tries to establish SOME Lincoln connection. Well, I wonder if there’s some document in Australia signed by Abe as part of some trade agreement or something with the British Empire.

Hmmm, a Google search finds that there is a Port Lincoln and a Lincoln Park in Australia. However there seems to be no relation. But there is an Abraham Lincoln Motel in New South Wales. There's probably a relation there. Did Lincoln’s circuit cover New South Wales? How far is that by horse?

No comments: