Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Clip Art II

...
Just to be clear, I was being all sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek, ironic or whatever in my last post. A few of the comments make me think that wasn’t coming through. I know the girl in the picture isn’t really a Sangamon County employee (hint: look at the title of the post). It was a joke.

I find “clip art” people used in marketing sort of amusing. It says, “no one working here (or using our product) is good looking enough to be used in our marketing materials.”

A few years ago, I was involved with the development of a marketing brochure for my employer. Someone incorporated a bunch of “clip art“ people on the cover. These faces became rather familiar as I worked on the project. Soon I and some coworkers began noticing one of them –the exact same picture- appearing in other places for other companies. It became a running joke about who else this generic (but attractive!) woman was representing. So I think ever since that experience I tend to notice and laugh at the phony images used in things like the Sangamon County website.

Now the question is, have I just over-explained the punch line of a joke?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever. The next time you talk to her, would you let her know the Sangamon County web site is crap, especially the Circuit Clerk's Office and the Health Department.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. I can't believe anyone took you seriously. I've always thought your humor comes through in your writing. Perhaps it's just because I adore you so much?

LOL

Mrs TEH