Monday, October 09, 2006

Classic Classical

...
I think Ogged is on to something here.
I just realized why I've never been able to get into classical music: I can't remember what the fuck anything is called. It turns out that I enjoy Brahms's Intermezzo in A Minor, Opus 76, No. 7. Will I ever listen to it again? Probably not, because I'd have to look up this blog entry to remember what it was. The naming of classical music pieces seem a lot like remembering books by Dewey decimal number. "Oh, I loved 813.14fh. Now where did I put it?" I propose that humanity should go back and rename all the good stuff with catchy, memorable titles.
And after the renaming project, NPR stations (the only ones that play classical music) need to emulate commercial radio formats. They need to put better known pieces in heavy rotation with the lesser known stuff inserted with a lot of back-announcing. That way we get to know the music and can remember it by name. Like Ogged, I’ll sometimes hear a classical tune, think it’s pretty good and then forget about it because I either have no idea what it is or couldn’t possibly remember its name even if I did.

No comments: