Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Damn

Kurt Vonnegut, Novelist Who Caught the Imagination of His Age, Dead at 84
Kurt Vonnegut, whose dark comic talent and urgent moral vision in novels like “Slaughterhouse-Five,” “Cat’s Cradle” and “God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater” caught the temper of his times and the imagination of a generation, died last night in Manhattan. He was 84 and had homes in Manhattan and in Sagaponack on Long Island.

Mr. Vonnegut suffered irreversible brain injuries as a result of a fall several weeks ago, according to his wife, Jill Krementz.
More here. And here.

If I had to pick a single author who influenced me most, it would have to be Vonnegut. Not to worry though, he's probably just become unstuck in time and living another part of his life in that Tralfamadorian way.

1 comment:

Darla said...

I heard the news about his death this morning. Usually I care not about some celebrity's demise, but damn, this one was a kicker. Mr. Vonnegut helped me through my teenage years, in part, along with Nitche. He was old I know, but I still feel the pain. Darla