I may have to reconsider my love of microwave popcorn. This story has been around for a while apparently but I had missed it until I saw a CNN video piece on CCN.com yesterday (it’s gone now, so no link).
Here’s the gist:
Results of a study by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) publishedYum!
in October reveal that compounds known to break down into the suspected
carcinogen PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) may be served up to millions of unwitting consumers in bags of microwave popcorn. The family treat could account for more than 20% of the average PFOA levels now measured in the blood of U.S. residents.
Assuming PFOA is really dangerous, I suppose I’ve already consumed so much of the stuff over the last 20 years that I’m doomed no matter what I do from this point on. Still, its going to be harder to enjoy microwave popcorn with this in mind.