Saturday, May 14, 2005

Double Dipping

So, Mike Wilson has a blog. Not fair!

Wilson has a local talk show on WMAY. Not fair!

He gets to spout off on the air for three hours each weekday AND have a blog. Not Fair!

Thanks to Marie, another Springfield blogger, who tipped me off to Wilson's deviousness. Marie's blog, Disarranging Mine, is here. It's definitely worth looking at even if she lacks focus as much as I do. The coolest part of her blog is the photography; check out the archives.

In other Illinois blog news, WLS radio newsguy Steve Scott also has a blog. (Unlike Mike Wilson, Scott is not a double dipper because, as far as I know, he does just straight news on the air.) It looks like Scott is using a format template similar to mine (it’s a Blogger stock template). Scott also happens to be the president of the Illinois News Broadcasters Association (again, no double dipping here). Hat tip to Peoria Pundit for the link.

I actually have a Steve Scott story. In December of 1997, I was in Chicago for week on business. I was done early one afternoon and was back at my downtown hotel when I heard on the radio that comedian Chris Farley had died a few blocks away at his John Hancock building apartment.

I headed over to the Hancock wanting to see what was going on. I eventually found a gaggle of reporters (and other gapers like myself) waiting outside a service entrance. Soon, one of the reporters next to me called in a live report on his cell phone (man those phones were big even as recently as then). I recognized the voice immediately, Steve Scott. I don’t think I talked to him but I remember thinking it was fun hanging around with a bunch of reporters again waiting for the news to pop. The conversation is always interesting. In this case, we were gruesomely waiting for the ambulance to come out carrying Farley’s body. When it did emerge and then leave, we all dispersed. The cameras got their pictures, the reporters their story and I witnessed another small but sad piece of history.

No comments: