Thursday, May 26, 2005

Just What IS Wrong with Texans

Ogged over at Unfogged has been wondering about what makes Texans so peculiar:
Why are Texans like foreigners? And not like those good foreigners from Western Europe, but those annoying, inferiority-complexed foreigners from places like Iran, Greece, and Turkey (for example).

What am I talking about? Here's Margaret Spellings, Secretary of Education, and Texan, responding to an interviewer's question.

Q: Should I call you Secretary?

I've been called worse, as we say in Texas.

You know what, Marge? They fucking say that everywhere.

Farsi has borrowed a bunch of words from French, but try telling my mother that the French didn't borrow them from Farsi. Our culture is older! Everything was invented, is sweeter, looks better, etc., back in the homeland. I can understand the response to dislocation that inspires this kind of backward pride in immigrants, but what the hell is wrong with Texans?
Exactly. I'm sorry, but there's nothing extraordinary about being from Texas. It's really rather a dull state overall (unlike exciting downstate Illinois). I've got news for Texans who play the part: you look like idiots in your cowboy hats swaggering about with your macho demeanor. I'll say it again, Texas is no big deal. Texans, quit acting like it is.

1 comment:

Grandes Cigarro said...

You might have just earned yourself sister blog status.

I'll confer with my contributor(s).