Sunday, May 15, 2005

SNL

I've been a fan of Saturday Night Live almost since it hit the air in 1975. I say almost because WICS-TV here in Springfield refused to carry the show until 1978 (when I went away to SIU and could see it there no matter what Channel 20 did). Their public reason for not showing SNL earlier was the wrestling that they did air was MUCH more popular than a bunch of hippies who thought they were funny. Man I hated them for that. I could occasionally get the show out of Peoria (whose residents obviously didn't appreciate the value of wrestling) but for the most part, I had to just accept that everyone else in the country could get the best in cutting edge sketch comedy- just not me.

Having said that, I also have always hated the show. At the time, every cast ensemble seems like the worst. The writing always seems sub-par for most of each show and suddenly previous cast incarnations seem so much better.

Still I watch. And still it's usually worth it. Gawd, the musical guests alone are worthy snippets of time.

Anyway, the point of this post is to pass on the link to The SNL Archives which has just upgraded and is totally awesome. Anything you want to know about any SNL episode, host, skit, cast member or character is here.

No comments: