Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Tony the Tiger - Dead

The voice of Tony the Tiger and the narrator on the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas is gone:
SANTA ANA, Calif. -- Thurl Ravenscroft, whose voice was known worldwide through his work in movies, television and at Disneyland, has died of prostate cancer. He was 91.

Tony the Tiger?

That was Mr. Ravenscroft.

Disneyland? Too many voices to mention, but Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion and the Enchanted Tiki Room were all graced by Mr. Ravenscroft's pliable, unique voice.

Movies? How about "Cinderella," "Dumbo" and "Lady and the Tramp"?

[snip]

"I'm the only man in the world that has made a career with one word: Grrrrreeeeat!" Mr. Ravenscroft said in a 1996 interview. "When Kellogg's brought up the idea of the tiger, they sent me a caricature of Tony to see if I could create something for them. After messing around for some time I came up with the `Great!' roar, and that's how it's been since then."

In 1966, Dr. Seuss and Chuck Jones teamed up to do "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" for CBS. Mr. Ravenscroft was the voice behind the song "You're a Mean
One." He recalled the Grinch fondly, saying, "That was my chance to prove I could really sing." The success of the Grinch led to other projects with Dr. Seuss, including "Horton Hears a Who" and "The Cat in the Hat."
Man, what pipes he had. I could hurt myself trying to get my voice that deep.

Sadly, yet another part of my childhood is gone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But you have GREAT pipes! Remember, it's one thing that first attracted you to me!

Mrs TEH

Anonymous said...

Oh pleeeez stop!
You guys are grossin me out ;(

ET

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I guess I temporarily forgot this was a PUBLIC site! I'll try to keep things like that more "under cover" from here on out!!!

Mrs TEH