Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Last Plane Out, Turn Off the Runway Lights

I heard it but didn’t see it. I had my window open at work and heard the last F-16 take off. I looked at the clock on my PC and it was 9:36. For as long as I’ve lived in Springfield (and that’s been off and on over the years) the sound of jet fighters taking off has been part of the background noise. Now they’re gone for good. I still want to know what happens to the local pilots.

By the way, take a look at the main page of the Capital Airport website.

Update: Video here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard on the TV news tonight (rate
for accuracy at your own peril) that about 6 pilots remain now that the jets have all gone. Others transferred, retired, transitioned to other non-flying positions, etc. I don't think any became homeless.

Dave said...

Anon,

Thanks for reassuring me the pilots aren't homeless since that's obviously what I was worried about.

I really wasn't worried about their well being, just curious as to their fate. I thought it odd no one was talking about that given their value.

JeromeProphet said...

I listened to it too, the last jet training over Springfield, Illinois, and when it was over I felt it. I felt the certainty that it was the end of an era for Springfield, Illinois. Sucks. - JP -