Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tax My Beer

I have no problem with the proposed 5% sales tax on packaged liquor in Springfield. Well, except that the idea comes from The Can-Man and that always gives me pause.

Look, the money is going to have to come from somewhere, and while this tax will not come close to filling the city’s entire budget deficit, it will help. And while some people may actually go out of their way to find there liquor outside the city to save 5 cents on the dollar, that’s going to be a very small group of people. I say go for it.
And by the way, SJ-R, Heineken sucks. Use a better beer (which would be almost any beer) for price comparison. Actually, why not just show us what the price difference would be for a 6 or 12 pack of Bud Light? That would be something more people could relate to. I say tax Heineken at 10%. And while we are at it, any beer with fruit in it should be taxed at 50%.

2 comments:

BlogFreeSpringfield said...

I agree. As much as I love a good beer, it would be hypocritically of me to support increased taxes on cigarettes while opposing the same on beer. Neither are essential and I can always cut back when the budget is tight.

doggettmeister said...

The laughable part was when Cahnman said the liquor tax would be more fair than a communications tax.

He then stated the communications tax would apply to all while the liquor tax was a luxury tax paid by only a portion.

I had to laugh and cry at the same time. Curse you, my love of booze.