Monday, April 25, 2005

The Coming Mega-Blog

I have mixed feelings about multi-author blogs. While I've thought it might be fun to write for one (it takes some of the pressure off of me to post frequently), I find that I lose interest in a blog the more contributors it has. Usually.

Anyway, a new blog with a lot of high profile contributors is about to get off the ground:
Arianna Huffington, the columnist and onetime candidate for governor of
California, is about to move blogging from the realm of the anonymous individual
to the realm of the celebrity collective.

She has lined up more than 250 of what she calls "the most creative
minds" in the country to write a group blog that will range over topics from
politics and entertainment to sports and religion. It is essentially a nonstop
virtual talk show that will be part of a Web site that will also serve up
breaking news around the clock. It is to be introduced May 9.

Having prominent people join the blogosphere, Ms. Huffington said in an
interview, "is an affirmation of its success and will only enrich and strengthen
its impact on the national conversation." Among those signed up to contribute
are Walter Cronkite, David Mamet, Nora Ephron, Warren Beatty, James Fallows,
Vernon E. Jordan Jr., Maggie Gyllenhaal, Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr., Diane
Keaton, Norman Mailer and Mortimer B. Zuckerman.

Well, we'll see. 250 (!) voices on one blog sounds like a mess to me. I think blogs need a focus, either by personality or by theme. For example, I'm all over the place on topics but it's all me. Think Progress has several voices but they all focus on lefty politics.

I've looked at other blogs with multiple posters covering a variety points of view, but I just can't sustain interest in them. I guess if I'm going to take the time to regularly check a blog i want to know what (or who) I'm in for. Maybe it's just me.

No comments: