Monday, April 25, 2005

Nickel Deposit

I really, really like this idea.
A long-dormant proposal to boost recycling with a five-cent deposit on
bottles and cans has resurfaced in Springfield.

Consumers would pay an extra nickel for every bottle or can made of
aluminum, glass, plastic or steel. Thus, a six-pack of soda or beer would cost
an extra 30 cents.

Milk jugs would be exempt.

Consumers could get their money back by returning bottles and cans to
grocery stores or other redemption centers.

Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn said Sunday he will push for a bottling bill during
the spring legislative session.

I've thought we should have this in Illinois for a long time now. Other states do it, just check the side of almost any aluminum can or bottle for the list of states and what their deposits are.

I think it's a great incentive not only for recycling but for getting rid of a lot of litter. Even if I'm too lazy to turn in the container, someone wanting the money will pick up the can or bottle and turn it in for me. That works out particularly well if I have discarded the container on a highway or park.

Of course the plan has it's critics.
But beverage industry trade groups argue that deposits would be a hassle
for consumers. Moreover, deposits would undermine curbside and blue bag
recycling programs, which would make less money from the sale of recyclables,
especially lucrative aluminum cans.

A bottle bill also would be a headache for grocers, which would have to
store, sort and handle dirty, returned containers. Trucks and warehouses would
have to make room for empty containers, and beverage trucks would make more
fuel-wasting trips.
Well, that used to be the norm back when I was a kid. My mother would return all out empty glass soda bottles to Kroger's on her next shopping trip. Later in life, I used to buy cases returnable beer bottles that I would turn in for the deposit. I think we can work through these details.

No comments: