Monday, April 04, 2005

Retro Discovery of the Week

Watching VH-1 Classic's "Alternative" show (again) last night and came across something else i had completely missed the first time around.

A video by a group called the Hindu Love Gods popped up and i was curious to hear it since I had never heard of them. Well, as soon as the vocals began on the cover of Prince's "Raspberry Beret" I recognized Warren Zevon's voice. And some of the still images in the video looked like members of REM. So, off to the internet.

It turns out the Hindu Love Gods were indeed REM (minus Michael Stipe) plus Warren Zevon. Who knew?

The story is, the three REMers were helping Warren on an album back in 1990 and the four of them decided to slap together a bunch of songs all in one session just for the fun of it. It was not intended to be released but, well, here it is.

All the reviews I've seen have been pretty positive. I've got this one on my wish list now.

No comments: