Thursday, April 28, 2005

Flying Weather

Man, holding an air show in Springfield, Illinois at the end of April is asking for trouble -weather trouble. I usually pay no attention to forecasts this time of year because trying to predict what the weather is going to do more then 24 hours into the future is little better than a guess. Anything can happen and it's the wettest time of year.

But I have been watching the forecasts for this weekend because I'm looking forward to the annual Air Rendezvous air show at Capital Airport. (By the way, I still refuse to call it the Abraham Lincoln International Airport or whatever they are trying to call it now.)

So far, the best I can say about the forecast is "iffy". Right now I'm clinging to the Weather Channel's forecast of morning clouds and afternoon sun with only a 10% chance of rain and a high of 61. I'll settle for that. The National Weather Service forecast is a bit more gloomy but we all know the NWS needs to be phased out anyway.

We were also planning on going to the hanger party on Friday night for the night air show. That looks like its going to be washed out though. Too bad, I haven't been in years. Watching the drunk single (and otherwise) women slobbering all over the flying studs in uniform is always fun.
I understand the special circumstances of having Air Rendezvous this weekend to accommodate the Blue Angels but I really miss the days when the air show was held in July. Sure, it was 120 degrees on the tarmac but the skies were clear and blue. We get little rain here by that time of year. As for the heat, well, the Budweiser is damn cold on those days.

No comments: