Saturday, April 30, 2005

The Voyeur Media

You know, I really wanted to post some angry comments on the whole missing woman from Georgia thing yesterday. I just didn’t have the time and now I wish I had because today I would be writing a big I TOLD YOU SO post. But I didn’t so I can’t.

What ticked me off yesterday was the news coverage I was seeing and hearing. I kept thinking that we have come to a point where there always has to be a missing person story in the news. And not just any missing person. No, they have to be either a young woman or a girl, attractive and white. Because if they aren’t all these things, who gives a shit, right? Hell, I could disappear and I’d be lucky to get a 10 second mention on WICS’s news right after Gus Gordon’s weather. All because I have a face for blogging and no vagina (but hey, I’m white!). Seriously, you mean to tell me there aren’t thousands of missing people in this country at any given moment? Never any men? No African-Americans? No old people? No one with a complexion problem? Give me a break.

So it turns out the woman just got cold feet about her upcoming wedding and took off to New Mexico. Well, well. The fiancée didn’t kill her. How ‘bout that. The guy was really being set up as a murderer in the media. My God, he wanted to protect himself from being railroaded so he sets some (very reasonable) conditions on taking otherwise unreliable lie detector tests. Good for him. Too bad that results in a guilty verdict in the media.

Sheesh.

No comments: