Sunday, April 17, 2005

Securing the Perimeter

This is getting sillier by the minute.

Yesterday, I linked to this SJ-R story about preparations for the ALPLM dedication Tuesday. I was focusing on information (or lack thereof) regarding what ex-presidents might be attending. Well, there was one part of the story that escaped my immediate attention at the time:

Following Friday's announcement, at the request of the Secret Service, city crews began removing streetlights, traffic signals and trees near Union Square Park, site of the dedication ceremony. The poles and trees could obstruct the view of government snipers who will be protecting the president, city spokesman Ernie Slottag explained.

The trees will be replanted after the ceremony.

Come on!

You know what, I’m no longer asking whether disruptive presidential visits should be curtailed. No, I think I’m actually calling for the end of such nonsense. If security is so absolutely vital that trees and traffic lights need to be removed, just stay hidden in the White House.

My only reservation had been that I thought it might be at least symbolically important for presidents and their constituents to occasionally meet-up in person. Well, when a president only sees a sanitized world in person, I think something is lost. (It’s even worse for this president who regularly stacks the audiences he appears before to be friendly to him politically.)

Likewise, for we commoners who might be determined enough to endure the lines and security checks, there is little “personal” contact and the view is probably better on the local projection screen.

I say put an end to it. Humbug.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ernie gets around...

Thank you for your comments regarding the cattle trucks that pass through the middle of town. Rest assured, the Mayor is working with I-DOT in rerouting them. Since Jefferson and Madison are state routes, there is little the city can do on its own. But, in cooperation with I-DOT we should be able to find a solution. Hopefully, we can set a weight limit on that route, which would force all heavy trucks to go a different route.

Thank you for expressing your concerns.

Ernie Slottag
Communications Director for Mayor Tim Davlin


It seemed only fair play that when we left the festivities tonight that we got caught behind a pig truck. The truck left such a stench behind it hundreds of people walking back to their parking lots were waving their arms about trying to escape the fumes - futile gestures.

By the way, being a newbie to the digital camera I wiped out my fresh taken photos of the director of the library two feet from me, the govenor, and his wife only feet away, an incredible series of photos which I took while on a torch light parade through the heart of downtown to the museum. Photos of the family with no less than three Abe Lincolns, and one Mary Todd. I'll never make that mistake again, but I did get some great video of the concert, laser and fireworks show at the museum tonight. Totally wonderful, but I kind of felt guilty about all that smoke heading right toward St. John's Hospital - I hope no one went into respiratory arrest because of the thick cloud of sulfur.

Speaking of meeting the director of the Museum, and Library, I saw him the other night saying that only one president would be in attendance - no one else was coming.

ETL