Monday, April 11, 2005

SIU Connection

This post prompted a TEH reader to post a comment asking what my connection is to Southern Illinois University. I do mention the school on occasion but I guess I've never explained why I care more about it than say, the U of I (didn't they do some sports thing recently?).

It's simple, I'm an SIU Carbondale grad. I spent five great years there from 1978 to 1983. Yes, that's five years. I have no regrets.

The reader also asked what my position is on the system president and if I think [Glenn] Poshard is selling out.

To be honest, I really don't follow the politics of the university (OK, universities since there's Edwardsville). Actually, I either didn't know or had forgotten Poshard had anything to do with SIU until I read the story on which I was posting. I lost track of him after his failed run for governor.

The purpose of my earlier SIU post was to trash talk Edwardsville just for fun. I have nothing against SIU-E. In fact, one of my SIU-C roommates and best friends went on to get his Masters from SIU-E after graduating from Carbondale. And I still talk to him despite that.

I do think it's silly to have them both SIUs but who really cares. I'm sure there are some serious issues involved with the relationship but I'm not all that concerned about them. Should a serious separatist movement get started, I'll lend my minimal, non-financial support. The Carbondale Liberation Front, anyone?

No comments: