Monday, July 14, 2008

InBud

Great. We’ll all soon be speaking Belgian in bars.

And when they move the Cardinals to Brussels, don’t say you weren’t warned about the Belgian menace. 6/11 changed everything.

Update: Matthewe Yglesias asks the important question:

Obviously, like all red-blooded Americans I'm outraged by the idea of a Belgian company with the silly name InBev purchasing our beloved Budweiser. Still, wouldn't it be kind of great if the Belgians started turning Budweiser into something more like the, um, vastly superior product they have in Belgium?
That would be a nice consequence from the sale, but it won't happen. Most Americans like the way AH products taste now. They won't see any quality improvements as being better. They're used to their Bud just the way it is! For example, I've tried giving my father-in-law some of the best beer in the world and he still simply perfers Miller Lite. The good stuff sits in his fridge until I come over or until he can pawn one off on an unsuspecting friend.

1 comment:

JeromeProphet said...

Yes, it's horrible that such an icon could simply be sold out.

But shareholders care about one thing - profit.

And we all knew it was going to happen.

We really need to ask how it is that such a powerhouse came to such a point where a European company could purchase AB.

I'll tell you what I believe - pretty much every beer from AB sucks.

I used to drink it when I was too young to know any difference, but as I matured so did my taste in beer.

I'd never buy and AB beer - ever.

So maybe this is a good thing?

Probably not, expect downsizing, and layoffs.