Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Facing the Music

I just noticed that my banner claims that I will be discussing music on this blog. Well, since not one single post has had anything to do with music, I'd better get busy.

I'll start with a recommendation:

The Alternative
VH-1 Classic
Sunday, Wednesday & Thursday
10:00 pm - Midnight (Central Time)

VH-1 Classic generally plays older music videos from the 1960's through the 1980's and is one of several VH-1 specialty channels. Of course VH-1 itself is an offshoot of MTV. I get Classic on digital cable, and I'm not sure if its available on any satellite TV menus or not.

Anyway, VH-1 Classic has this show, The Alternative, that plays only videos from the punk, New Wave and alternative eras, roughly from 1977 to 1995. Its sort of a light, reflective version of MTV's old 120 Minutes show. The Sunday night time slot is even reminiscent. Good stuff.

2 comments:

KarmaCake said...

Do you propose that post 1995 music isn't so hot?
;)
I personally like the show "Back In ??" that airs on Much More Music

Dave said...

KC

Not at all. I came of age during the early punk/new wave era so its near and dear to me. And I think the early 90's generated a lot of great stuff too. I like this show because it showcases this music (in video form) like nowhere else I've seen.