Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Tsunami Relief

I got this message from a friend and co-worker who is from Sri Lanka.

Most of you would have seen on tv or heard about the tragedy in the Asian sub
continent. Sri-Lanka is one of those countries that had been badly hit. To date,
about 48,000 people have been dead and 16,000 are missing. If you would like to
donate, please donate through Tamil Rehabilitation Organization (TRO) of USA (http://www.trousa.org/). TRO is a registered 501 ( c) 3
charitable organization in the USA and all donations are tax deductible. This
organization reaches out to the people in the northern and eastern parts of the
Sri-Lanka as its being cut off from the government aid and other national
benefits. Please feel free to send this info to anyone interested.


This is the organization I will be donating to. I encourage everyone to do the same or contribute to the relief organization of your choice. This is the worst natural disaster in my lifetime and I'll have much more to say on it later.

My friend tells me his family and friends back in Sri Lanka are all safe but his wife lost a cousin. Apparently the cousin was at the shore taking photographs when the tsunami hit.

UPDATE: The local paper (SJR) has a story on the plight of the cousin.

No comments: