Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Furr Sure

OK, this is local.

There is a talk radio station here in Springfield, WMAY 970 AM, that is mostly local (non-syndicated, personalities in the studios here). One of their new personalities is a woman named Pamela Furr (profile here, scroll down). She is not from around here but was hired a couple of months ago to do the 9:00 am to Noon time slot. She's what the station calls "an open minded conservative" (hmmm...what are they saying about other conservatives). Anyway, so far so good. Here's my story:

I'm listening to the end of her show on my way home for lunch today. I came in on the middle of some conversation with a local woman she had in the studio and this woman was describing how her house in Pawnee (a small town a few miles south of Springfield) was damaged by a tornado at some point in the past. Miss Pam then says, "What's a Pawnee?". And she wasn't kidding, she didn't know. The woman guest explained to her that "a Pawnee" is a town.

Now, this stunned me. I know she isn't originally from here, but she has been here a couple of months doing a daily talk show AND local news! WTF? Everyone here knows someone from Pawnee. In her position she should know these things. She came off as the total fool she is.

Think I'm being too hard? Well, I've been in her situation. I once relocated to a city I was completely unfamiliar with to do radio news. And you know what, I knew every town for 60 miles, most of them before I got to my new job. C'mon Pam, get a clue.

No comments: