Monday, May 02, 2005

Teen Phone

A weekend editorial in the Bloomington Pantagraph comes out in favor of a measure pending in the Illinois legislature that would ban some teen drivers from using cell phones while driving.

Teenage drivers are not the only ones who can be distracted by talking on a
cell phone while behind the wheel. But their relative inexperience as drivers
makes it more risky. They might not as readily anticipate a situation that could
lead to an accident.

Therefore, a proposal to prohibit 16- and 17-year-olds from using cell
phones while driving should be enacted into law.

Senate Bill 210 was approved 38-19 and is awaiting action in the House.
State Sen. Bill Brady, R-Bloomington, and Larry Bomke, R-Springfield, were among
opponents. Sen. Dan Rutherford, R-Chenoa, voted in favor.

[snip]

In 2003, the state Department of Transportation blamed cell phones as the
primary cause in 622 traffic accidents and a secondary factor in 619 crashes.
Although we don't know the ages involved, undoubtedly not all were teen
drivers.

I'll admit something most people won't -talking on a cell phone while driving IS distracting. For me it's not usually a big deal while diving relatively monotonous highways, but in the city I honestly think I pay slightly less attention to my driving than I should.

Should we ban cell phone use while driving? I'm thinking the answer is yes. And not just for 16 and 17 year olds. I say that very reluctantly but overall it might be a good idea. Of course, I'm not talking about any strict penalty, and law enforcement should look the other way in emergency situations.

I've heard it said that listening to the radio is also distracting therefore the next logical step would be to, gad, BAN CAR RADIOS. Oh, bullshit. I think it's the interactive nature of the cell phone that makes it MORE of a distraction. The radio is much easier to mentally tune in and out, so to speak, than is a phone conversation.

I don't know, I could go either way on this one, but right now I'm leaning toward a ban.

No comments: