Thursday, August 31, 2006

Hooray For Tofu!

...
Ezra Klein defends tofu and, indirectly, those who consume it. It’s been years since I’ve cooked with tofu but I still get a side of fried tofu occasionally from one of my favorite local Thai restaurants. In younger and less married years, I used to use tofu in a variety of recipes, mostly substituting for some or all of the meat required. It’s great stuff; it’s healthy and takes on the flavor of whatever you’re cooking with. Yet, there is no end to shit one has to take if you are brave enough to announce you eat tofu. It has a horrible reputation for some reason. You don’t have to be a militant vegetarian or a member of PETA or be making some political statement to enjoy tofu. It’s just another kind of food. It has no agenda and really doesn’t threaten you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Tofu is a hard sell at my domicile, and by the very individuals who stand to benefit the greatest.

I'd love to mix it into ground meat when preparing a sauce, or throw it on a salad, but all I get at the grocery store is "Tofu?" in the most disgusted voice possible.

You're right tofu gets a hard rap.

JP

Dave said...

Tofu is perfect for mixing with a bit of ground beef for something like a spaghetti sauce. If you fry it up with the meat, it totally retains the beef flavor and the resulting mix is much better for you than 100% beef.