Monday, August 21, 2006

On E-Mails

...
Am I the only one who does this? When e-mailing multiple people, I often insert the individual recipients in a political order, especially at work.

For example, I’m sending an e-mail to Fred, Ned and Ted. Ted is my boss and Fred and Ned are coworkers. However, Ned is also in a position to make my job more difficult if I don’t keep on his good side. So, in this example, I would first insert Ted’s email address in the To: line, then Ned and finally Fred. I’m always afraid someone isn’t going to be happy with being put before this or that person, or that I didn’t think to include them before this or that person.

Am I nuts or do other people play personal and professional politics with e-mail recipient order? Is this a little like the Seinfeld episode where Jerry was obsessed with where his phone number was on a persons speed dial?

Also, is there a political angle to using blind copying (BCC)? Does being the recipient of a blind copy make you feel special or that you’re closer to the sender because they want to secretly let you in on something?

3 comments:

ThirtyWhat said...

It's not just you, TEH ... I find myself doing that all the time. At work, I'll be setting up a new distribution list in e-mail ... and I'll actually be sitting there diagramming in my head ... now, this person is more important than that person ... but that person is on the award's committee ... LOL Glad to know it's not just me and Jerry Seinfeld ...

Anonymous said...

Me too.

JP

Anonymous said...

I do it all of the time but I do it in reverse from you (kind of) I all put people I dont like especially the ones I know that dont like me at the end of the email list just in hopes that it will make them mad