Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Better Late Than Hot

I remember sweating it out, literally, in classrooms without air conditioning when I was a student. I didn’t enjoy air conditioning in school until I went away to college. Well, OK, there was 4th grade when our class was in the basement of the Blessed Sacrament rectory, but the AC we got there was just leftovers from upstairs. Comfort that was completely unintentional.

The difference, though, is that we didn’t start school as early in August as they do now. In fact, back in early grade school, we didn’t resume classes until after Labor Day. Sure we were still hot for a week or two, but not for over a month like kids going back today in mid-August. Sitting in a hot, hot classroom doesn't add anything to the experience; believe me I remember.

But it would cost $64 million to provide air conditioning in the Springfield schools, and that doesn’t include future maintenance and power costs. I think a better solution would be to start the school year later. While this would mean ending the school year later too, it’s usually not as hot at the end of May as it is in the middle of August.

I think this is a fairly simple solution. $64 million is a lot of money that could be better used elsewhere. Of course, this assumes the Springfield district stays with its summers-off schedule rather than having year-round classes. If they switch, then I see no choice but to install the AC.

5 comments:

JeromeProphet said...

With the reality of global warming only just now being felt if we employ your approach within a decade or so we may have to have the kids coming in for first week of classes in October.

JP

JeromeProphet said...

Oh yes, and before we start cutting class room time for the children of Springfield, may I ask a question?

Do any of your children attend public school in Springfield?

JP

ThirtyWhat said...

I've always wondered ... why did that change? When I went to Blessed Sacrament way (way) back in the day, we didn't start until after Labor Day.

For the past few years, I've been curious as to why they've moved the school year back two or three weeks into the hottest month of the year.

JP's right ... we can only "adjust" the days so much. Hot weather seems to be coming sooner and lasting longer. Whether we go full or not, I'm afraid we'll have no choice but to consider air conditioning in the years ahead.

Dave said...

JP,

Not sure where you are getting that I'm suggesting we "cut class room time" for anyone. Maybe you need to read the post more carefully. I was simply suggesting starting later and ending later. Easy, if you read it correctly!

No, I have no kids in the Springfield schools, but I do have not one, but two kids, in Pleasant Plains High School, which is also not air conditioned. They began classes on August 22. There are no plans to air condition that school either. So I don't think I'm speaking out of turn here.

JeromeProphet said...

Dave,

Sorry if I misread you post, which I obviously did now that I reread it.

O.K. so good idea about going later into early summer. That and shorten Winter Break, or Spring Break a bit, and I think there is the solution for now.

Still temperatures are expected to rise in coming years, and as in the South air conditioning will become a necessity.

Kids are already going to school until June, and I've local television reports on how the kids are sitting in hot classrooms in late May.

A/C is inevitable. It was in fact air conditioning which allowed the South to grow as it did since the end of WWII.

Thanks to coal, and oil the Midwest is the New South.

JP