Wednesday, September 19, 2007

In Praise of the 24-Hour Flu

The 24-hour flu is currently ravaging the TEH household. We’ve almost all had it this week. And as disruptive as it is, I must say it’s probably the most benign of the common temporary affliction family. I think colds generally get that designation, but even mild colds last 3-4 days and the bad ones ten or more days. The 24-hour bug, while nasty at its peak, hits like a ton of bricks, but moves on just as quickly. Yesterday at this time I was dying; now I’m 90% back. Amazing. I’ve decided that given its short duration, I’d rather have the 24-hour flu than be dogged by a cold for a week. But that’s just me.

3 comments:

JeromeProphet said...

Ha!

Twenty four hour my butt.

It seeps back into the upper lungs, and is very persistent.

Just wait until you get tired.

Been in town for a month now. It's very easy to catch too. My daughter came down with it the day after she kissed her boyfriend who had it.

High fever, sore throat, weakness.

If you don't watch everything you do it comes back, and comes back, and comes back.

Others at work confirm these symptoms and pattern.

Takes about two to three weeks to clear up entirely.

Had many people sick at work missing usually two days in a row.

The Mrs. has had it, my daughter had it.

And yup I ended up getting it - but only mildly.

It would head to one side of my throat, and try moving into my ears, and I'd sleep and it would end up going away - then come back the next day if I was tired into the other side of my throat and try for the other ear.

I just kept watching out for it, and eventually I must have built up enough immunity and it's gone.

Unless you're talking about something different in which case stay the heck away from me!

JP

JeromeProphet said...

Oh No!

Maybe it's mutated?

Everyone!

Listen!

We must all stick together - no actually let's stay away from each other!

This is the only way!

If it last for only a day. Then if we stay away from each other for just one day - we can beat this thing.

We've failed with AIDS, and Cancer, and TB, and West Nile Virus, but we can beat this!

So please even if you need TP or something - don't do it. Use your hand if you must, and stay indoors.

Call in sick, and keep your kids home.

The stakes are just too darned high.

Got it?

kasiaiscarly said...

so your blog post came up when i searched for info on 24-hour flu! i'm suffering at the current moment and have neve been so miserable in my life!