Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Cars Talk

I have to agree with Mr. Commie here. Cars is a really good movie. I suspect few adults without young children have bothered to see it figuring it’s just another kid’s flick. I probably wouldn't have bothered to see it if not for my pre-schooler. Because of him though, I’ve seen Cars, in whole or in part, dozens of times. Sure kids like it, but it has a simple yet compelling story that’s enjoyable for all ages. There are plenty of references to things only adults would understand. And, as A/C points out in his post, the animation from Pixar is truly amazing. It’s worth watching for that alone.

I also like the cast of voices. From Owen Wilson’s Lightning McQueen to Larry the Cable Guy’s Mater to Bob Costas’s Bob Cutlass, the casting is great. Cars also may well turn out to be Paul Newman’s last movie gig. So even if you don’t have kids around, check it out sometime. Or have your neice or nephew over and watch it with them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Lightning McQueen was terribly immature, and never truly learned his lesson. Then again, that's me.

He'd be out paving the streets of Radiator Springs right now if I had my way.

JeromeProphet said...

Never seen it, but will one day I hope.

This is B team for you Davo if you catch my drift, so I'm not sure if you missed out on the whole Disney experience with the A team way back when. Sometimes I think we get to be better parents as we get older, and set our priorities straight.

Having a little girl has a way of growing up a father - you either embrace the feminine part of your nature, or you miss out on fully accepting you daughter. I'm not saying men can't enjoy a good Disney show with their sons, but if you were in your mid twenties you probably wouldn't be mature enough to really get into it like you are now - and remember I knew you then so there's no denying it.

I recall reading that toward the end of the eighties Disney was having a tough time, and so they tried this approach with Little Mermaid - and it worked - way more than any of them dreamed. So they stuck with it.

Next came Aladdin, and we all know who did the Genie for that.

My first experience with this was with the Lion King which was the third blockbuster for Disney after their resurrection using the same Adult-on-one-level and Child-on-the-other level technique.

I had every single song memorized, every single line of the movie memorized. And knew the names of all the stars who did the voices, and sang, etc. It's a good approach for Disney.

We end up collecting ever Disney video, buying every collectible etc. It's how Disney operates.

Instead of wasting your money on Hawaii you should take the nipper to Disney World before you get too old to enjoy it.

JP