Friday, September 28, 2007

Friday Beer Blogging: Return To Schwelmer Edition

Previously on Friday Beer Blogging - Schwelmer Pils. This time around, I want to talk Schwelmer Alt and a new Schwelmer variety pack that you can buy right here in town.

Schwelmer Alt is the darker beer of the Schwelmer family. I tried one at Brewhaus a few months ago and wasn't real impressed. I'm not a huge fan of dark beers anyway so it was to be expected. However, like every single beer on American shores it was served cold that night. Well, a month ago I bought some Schwelmer Pils. Or so I thought. In fact, I had accidentally purchased a six pack of Alt.

Thinking it wasn't all that great, I set it aside. Later I got to wondering if it had been really the Alt I didn't like. So I thought before I got rid of it, I would give it a taste for verification. Mind you, the beer had been sitting out unrefrigerated. I poured a glass and discovered the Alt was great warm. Since then I've purchased a couple of sixes of the stuff and enjoy having a warm glass of it on occasion. Really, give it a try.

I also want to bring to your attention a variety pack of Schwelmer beers you can buy. It has two each of the Pils, Alt and something called Bernstein. The bottles have colorful ceramic stoppers making these six packs a good gift, I would imagine. The three are pictured below on the right.

There were several of these variety packs still on the shelf at Friar Tuck last weekend, However, I took the last of the Alt that was available. Hopefully they have restocked.

Have a good weekend! And drop in on the Schwelmer family if you have a chance.

No comments: