Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Bus-Ackward

Not to pick on the school bus driver too much, but based on the information in this story,doesn’t he or she have some responsibility here.

Dropped off in an unfamiliar neighborhood a mile from his home Friday afternoon, Davion Conley, a kindergartner at Hazel Dell Elementary School, had no idea where he was.

A mix-up at the school had placed him on the wrong bus, and at the end of the route, Davion, 5, apparently was told to get off with the rest of the remaining pupils.

Told to get off? If drivers have extra kids at the end, they have to dump them off at the end of the line?

I don’t know any more about the incident than what’s in the newspaper account, but it sounds like maybe the school bus driver dropped the ball here too. I know it’s early in the school year and the driver probably doesn’t know all the kids on their route yet, but telling a kid he has to get off just because it’s the end of that route seems odd to me. I suspect the kid didn’t speak up about it not being his stop, but still.

2 comments:

JeromeProphet said...

The child's possible silence in no way mitigates what was done.

Totally unprofessional on the part of the bus driver, the company, and district 186.

We're talking a five year old.

JP

A Bishops Wife said...

My twins would NEVER allow themselves to be dropped off at the wrong spot. However, my 6 year old is Autistic and could not speak for himself. It is mt worst nightmare that the bus will "lose" him. I had to make very strct and explicit DEMANDS of the district before we let him go.

Last year in preschool, the special ed driver tried to leave him at the wrong house. I had never seen my husband so livid. What if it had been some pervert.

Some children just may be too shy or intemidated to say anything and will do as they are told. Schools have to be careful. There would be "hell to pay" if that happened to one of my children.