Monday, August 06, 2007

More Tom Terrific

I just wanted to add something to my Tom Snyder comments from a couple of posts down. It occurs to me that there is a reason people like me, JP and Richard Roeper (see Rich’s remembrances here) were Snyder fans. It has to do with the fact that we are all about the same age and were in high school and college when Snyder’s “Tomorrow” show aired in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. The show was on so late at night, no one but kids our age were up to watch it. And there wasn’t much else to watch. Remember, even cable TV was in its infancy and didn’t offer a whole lot by way of late night entertainment. I know my parents never were up to watch him. Even others my age not interested in, say, politics and current events could find something to like. I mean, who else was doing interviews with John Lennon, Johnny Rotten, The Ramones, and Wendy O. Williams? We were either the youngest baby boomers or oldest Gen Xers, stuck in the middle somewhere. Maybe we were really the Snyder generation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendy O. Williams. Thanks. It's been a long time since I recall her antics.

I remember when I first heard she had died of cancer. I thought, how can someone that energetic, that wild die of cancer.

Haven't thought of her in years.

Yes The Tomorrow Show, or Late Show was an experience unto itself. It was hard to find anything else on television that was actually made in the last half of the twentieth century that was on that late.

Cable had repeats of some 1930's movie that one can only find on AMC now-a-days but if you wanted something new you had to watch Snyder.

And I recall watching Wendy O. Williams on Tom Snyder's show. She trashed the portion of the set they played on, and set a fire - which she was known to do - right on stage. You just don't see good family entertainment like that anymore.

JP