Friday, August 24, 2007

Friday Beer Blogging: Old Time Cheap Edition

I was talking to a friend the other day about cheap beers that were staples during or respective college years. You know, beers brewed for those on a budget. We had a number of low priced favorites during my college days in the late 70s and early 80s. These were almost always cases of returnable bottles that sold for $4.99 plus a buck deposit on the bottles.

Hands down the winner in terms of total volume consumed has to have been Wiedemann.

Note: I had not luck finding pictures of some of these beers -some don't even exist any more- so I have labels and such.

Another notorious favorite was Rhinelander.

Rhinelander was brewed in Monroe, Wisconsin, just across the border from where I later lived and continued to drink the stuff on my radio salary in the mid-80s.

This next stuff was real shit beer, Sterling. Ugh! Never a favorite of mine, but the price was always right.

Schmidt we usually bought in cans and the 12 packs had nature scenes. Schmidt wasn't too bad as I recall.

Top Hat beer was one we liked my freshman year at school. I even did one of my first FBB posts on it a couple of years ago.

And finally, Generic beer. This stuff appeared late in my college career but I remember buying it a few times cuz it was so damn cheap.

Have a happy (and cheap) weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Have you ever heard of a beer called Piels? It was sold on the east coast during the 80's. It was cheap, about 5.99 for a case of bottles. And it was pretty bad. Similiar to Shafers.

Anonymous said...

Ah, college days. They sold Rhinelander at Panther's in Charleston for 15 cents a bottle in the early 90's. I also remember living on an insanely cheap, and short-lived beer called Brewski. Nobody I've talked to has ever heard of it, but I swear it was real.

I think it might be my early exposure to cheap swill that makes me appreciate my microbrew of the month club selections even more.

Anonymous said...

If I had to go the cheap route, I generally went with Olympia.

Glass was not allowed at Carbondale's Summer Concerts, so I'd grab a 12 of Olympia from Westroads Liquors, stuff it in my backpack and then get silly to outdoor music at Turley Park.

And I can vouch for the existence of Brewski.