Sunday, August 19, 2007

Tollerance Defined

What she said
Tolerance is a civic virtue, not a personal one. It means that you have the right to freely express your political and religious views without government interference. It means you have the right to be free from discrimination in employment, housing, and public accommodations. It means that your neighbors and co-workers are obligated to treat you with respect. But dude, “tolerance” does not mean anyone is required to like you, be your friend, or want to date you.
I get the tolerance rap here in comments on occasion. "I thought Liberals were suppose to be so tolerant, so why aren't you tolerating my opinions?" Me disagreeing with someone, even strongly, does not make me intolerant. There are no consequences to the disagreement on a larger scale or for the individual with whom I express disagreement. Now, if I said because you support George W. Bush you should be segregated, not served in restaurants and not allowed to get married and actively supported societal and legislative matters to that end, then yes, I would be intolerant. Simply indicating you're full of shit on some issue does not in anyway infringe on your civil liberties or make me intolerant.

No comments: