Thursday, August 16, 2007

Chatham/Bruns

OK, so I got JP's bird quiz. But that just served to remind me of something I've wondered for a long time. Why does Chatham Road, seemingly for no particular reason, suddenly become Bruns Lane at Washington? At one time, were these separate roads that eventually met? Today, there appears to be no geographical reason for the name switch. If I were Lord of All Street Naming in Springfield (and I just might be someday), I would have Chatham road go all the way to at least Jefferson where there is a more natural divide. And if I was in a particularly foul mood, I might rename Bruns all the way to Veterans.

1 comment:

JeromeProphet said...

I used to want to change everything that didn't make sense from the past.

I used to drive past old run down buildings, and think - tear them down, and start fresh.

I don't feel that way anymore, and haven't for many years, because as I get older I hope that those same buildings will be around for people to look at long after I'm gone.

So that some of the history of Springfield is left for future people to wonder about.

I say we leave Bruns Lane as it is. It's fluky, but adds character to our town.

JP