Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dukakis Apologizes

Via Kevin Drum, this statement from former Democratic presidential candidate Michael Dukakis who lost to the elder George Bush in 1988:

"Look, I owe the American people an apology. If I had beaten the old man you'd of never heard of the kid and you wouldn't be in this mess. So it's all my fault and I feel that very, very strongly. So this is an important election for us. Let me tell 'ya."
Yeah, thanks Mike. Or as Jon Lovitz said in that famous Saturday Night Live skit from 1988: "I can't believe I'm losing to this guy!"
It’s not often brought up in polite company, but it is very, very doubtful George W. Bush would have come even close to being president had Daddy Bush lost the 1988 election.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave,

sorry for being silly, but the inner neo-fascist conservative in me is yelling this right now

"Bush won, and you bleeding heart pinko commie liberals need to get over it."

The world is about 10,000 brain cells in the negative after that.