Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fair Daze

I spent the day today at the State Fair and will be taking the day tomorrow to move my daughter to Carbondale so she may begin college at SIU. Hence, not much blogging today or tomorrow.

It was 30 years ago this week I began my freshman year at SIU. Where did those years go?

Meanwhile, the Fair, while fun, wears me out. Here are a few notes about today's visit:
The best drink on the fairgrounds has to be the Mango Smoothie at the Indian both in the Ethnic Village.

Vose's corn dogs and the nearby "butter" dipped sweet corn didn't seem as good to me this year.

Could the Lt. Governor's tent be more out of the way. It's more inconspicuous than the office itself.

I wish I had gone into the Illinois Wine building, but I didn't.

And hey here's a little secret that might come in handy. If you're looking to cool off after a few hours of wondering around the fairgrounds, go to the Grandstand and catch some horse races. When you do, stop at the beer stand, pick up a cold Bud then go all the way to the top of the grandstand seating. They have vents right behind the last row of seats that create a comfortable breeze even on the hottest day.

Better yet, get one of those Mango Smoothies, hop on the skyride to the Grandstand (so the smoothie doesn't completely melt/get consumed before you get there), and head to the back row.
See you Friday for some beer blogging.

2 comments:

JeromeProphet said...

Well, let's see - about four of those years was spent sitting on the pot. About ten of those years was spent semi inebriated on beer. One year spent having sex, right before falling asleep. Ten years spent asleep, eight years spent staring into your computer monitor at work, where am I?

Congrats on getting the daughter unit to SIUC.

Man, we are officially our fathers now.

JP

JeromeProphet said...

Strangely the grandstand reminded me both of the Fair, and CDale campus.

JP