Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Physics Defied!

teh
What is the explanation behind liquid in a container expanding to 10 times its volume when accidentally spilled?

Yesterday, I tipped over a nearly fill bottle of water on my desk at work. I recovered it in a split second but there was water on my keyboard, my mouse, my shirt and pants and water was cascading over the edge of my desk. I spent several minutes wiping everything up and went through many paper towels. When I was done, I figured I needed to replace the bottle of water since I thought most of the contents surely had spilled out of my first bottle. I looked at the bottle and it was down maybe half an inch. WTF! Where did all that water come from?

There has to be some undocumented law of physics here. Seriously, have you ever spilled a soda or beer? That 12 or 16 ounce container left several gallons of liquid all over everything didn’t it. You know what I’m talking about.

No comments: