Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Tunnel Vision

teh
My first take on this story about city council members having some issues with the Springfield Clinic’s plans to build over Sixth Street was to roll my eyes at a bunch of fuddy-duddies prepared to stand in the way of what sounds like a neat addition to the city. But having thought more about it, I’m not so sure.

First, let me say that I’m commenting out of ignorance since I haven’t seen the proposed addition to the clinic. (Is it available online somewhere?) So I have to use my imagination as to what it might even look like.

Having said that, I am sort of surprised that they are talking about what amounts to a Sixth Street tunnel through the new building. I had previously imagined a nice covered walkway between two buildings. From what I hear that isn’t the case with a three-story structure going up over the street.

I have no problem with this in general but underpasses of some length tend to get really dirty and run-down looking fairly quickly. And I guess that’s were my concern comes in. But like I said I haven’t seen the plans so it’s kind of hard to pass final judgment.

1 comment:

Randy said...

I saw an artist rendering of this today on WICS. To be totally honest, it was very ugly.